Sunday, March 08, 2009

Attack of the spammers


Over the last few weeks, the spammers have devised a way of overcoming the security controls on our forum registration process. As a result, we are getting hundreds of spam applications every day, saturating the board (a small sample illustrated above - click to enlarge).

They get no further than that, so the only effect is to drown out the small number of genuine applicants. But I have no way of knowing who is genuine and who is not. I have, therefore, had to disable the registration system – which leaves new posters the option of using the guest system.

If anyone particularly wants to register, they can e-mail me from the contact button on the sidebar and I will open up the system by arrangement, to let them in. Otherwise, for the time being, I know of no other way of dealing with this plague.

COMMENT THREAD