Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The perfect European

Bertie Ahern denies any wrongdoing. Being the dedicated public servant that he is, he is resigning only because he does not want charges of corruption to distract the focus of government.

"I know in my heart of hearts that I've done no wrong and wronged no-one," he says. "I want everyone to understand... never in all the time I served in public life have I ever put my personal interests ahead of the public good."

This is the man who brokered the agreement on the original EU constitution and is slated as one of the possible candidates for the first full-time president of the European Council.

Having done absolutely nothing wrong and being suddenly free to take alternative employment, it does seem that he is the ideal candidate – the perfect European.

COMMENT THREAD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.