Monday, September 10, 2007

Bad news

I shall, of course, leave it to my colleague to discuss General Petraeus's statement to Congress and the somewhat puerile shenaningans the Democrats went in for. It would appear that the General, the world's leading expert on counter-insurgency, managed to present a very good case unlike Wee Willie Hague who seems to have annoyed with his response the editors Toryboy blog.

However, I feel I need to update our readers on the Lebanon story that was part of my posting yesterday. According to Reuters, Shakir al-Abssi, leader of Fatah al-Islam may not have been killed in the final surge of the Lebanese army in Nahr al-Bared. His supposed body was identified by another terrorist and his wife but the DNA tests "showed the body's sample did not match those from Abssi's children and brother".

I suppose there can be all sorts of explanations: the DNA samples were mixed up, Shakir al-Abssi's wife no longer remembers what he looks like, whatever. The Lebanese government cannot be happy. Neither can anybody else in that part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.