Tuesday, February 06, 2007

This has to be copied out

Further on the infantilization of political life: today's Evening Standard, whose website is probably the worst of all newspapers, carries a column by Francis Wheen, who is always good value. Though very much a man of the left, his generally splenetic attitude means that I agree with much of what he says.

He seems to have picked up another great pronouncement from the Boy-King of the Conservative Party. Let me quote his short item in full:
According to David Cameron, everyone in the country is saying the same thing about Tony Blair: "Hello? It's over." Way to go Dave! I hope he tries out his teenspeak at PMQs tomorrow, if only to provoke the PM into replying, "I'm, like, so not over", followed by an exchange like this:

"Yeah, right. The Rt Hon. Gentleman is rinsed. He's rank!"
"Your mum! I'm buzzing, I'm mint, I'm proper nang. Innit?"
"Yadda, yadda, yadda. Talk to the hand, 'cos the face is in Spain."

Whereupon the Speaker intervenes with a cry of "Order! Keep it real." And a sulky murmur comes from the chastened leaders on the front benches: "Whatever..."
Then again, this would be a good deal funnier if I could not imagine it happening with more or less those words.

PS I have had complaints from some readers about the plethora of pictures of the Boy-King on this blog, which causes nausea in said readers. So, I have provided a picture of Francis Wheen speaking in Budapest at a conference on Karl Marx. There's glory for you.

COMMENT THREAD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.